A Photo Scavenger Hunt is an activity that involves groups finding interesting things and capturing them using a camera. A simple yet fun way to promote teamwork and bonding.
- Materials Required: At least one camera (digital or smartphone camera is fine) per group. Sheets of paper with the checklist of items.
- Recommended Number of People: Groups of 3 work best.
- Time Required: One hour for a quick activity, or 2 hours for a longer version.
How Do You Play Photo Scavenger Hunt?
Prepare sheets of paper with the items that need to be photographed. See ideas below. Print these out — one sheet per group. Form teams of three. Be sure each group has a working camera. Digital cameras (including smartphone cameras) work the best, although Polaroids can also be fun.
In a word processor, prepare several interesting items that players will photograph. These could be interesting situations, unique things in the neighborhood, hard to find places, food items, specific kinds of clothing, or an activity. Some ideas include:
- A girl in an orange hat
- Trendy glasses
- A police or security officer
- A group photo of a human pyramid
- A pizzeria
- A man with a white beard
- An object that begins with the letter “Q”
- A person more than 7 feet tall
- A person doing a cartwheel
The zanier or sillier, the better. Make some of the items challenging, but doable. You can create bonus challenges as well if you wish.
Playing the Photo Scavenger Hunt
Once the group is divided into smaller teams of 3 and are ready with sheets and cameras, they are ready to be sent out into the world. Let them know the time limit and meeting place for debriefing (1-2 hours, depending on how long you want the activity to be. If you wish, you can ask groups to email you the photos as they collect them, but this is optional. Groups must also stay together at all times (no splitting up). Send everyone out to start photographing!
When time is up, allow each group to present their photos along with their checklist sheet. Each group earns one point for each challenge successfully photographed and if you wish, extra bonus points for creativity or effort.